Monday, November 5, 2007

Christmas Gift Ideas for Gardeners


I found this kit called "Marker Stones" several years ago in a garden catalog and thought I would share the idea with my readers. Maybe someone will get inspired and start making some marker stones for gifts for Christmas (which is right around the corner!). I loved the look of bricks with stamped words in them so I bought the kit. Since then I have made several marker stones for my garden and for many more for friends and neighbors. My friend Tina loved hers so much she went out and bought herself a kit. I also bought an extra kit for my daughter so she could make her own.

These stones are not difficult to make and are very easy to customize. You can color them or add small stones and rocks-let your imagination be your guide. I tell you, these vegetable tags will last forever in my garden. I like to arrange them in my beds the season before planting and I also use them to identify my various gardens. Marker stones are also great pet grave markers. The kit comes with many different shapes and styles of letters.

It is never too early to start on Christmas gifts for your favorite gardener or even for yourself-so get to mixing!

in the garden....

3 comments:

  1. These are so neat! I think that would make a great Christmas gift for a gardner. And they do indeed make a great Pet Grave Marker. I have the one you made me next to my Skeeter baby now! Again, thanks for the special gift...

    I finally got the Ferns and Wandering Jews plants under the house. The Saint was such a good man to help me. Our crawl space is really low and I dont go under the house so he assisted me in this project. He was moaning a bit but I was reminding him of the $50 or so we will be saving next spring if they survive under the house. I will bring the rest of the house plants in from the front porch tomorrow. I always hate doing that as they look so pretty on the porch. I dont look forward to the bugs getting into the house from the plants and also trying to figure out just where I will place the plants to make sure the cats cannot get to them! Going to be close to freezing later this week so they must come inside. I will first cut some of the long stems off and put them into pots to make new plants for next year. I have many plants from one single plant that I bought about 6 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Skeeter,
    I am sooooo glad you finally got those ferns under the house. I finished mine today too. Winter is just about upon us and it is so hard to believe how fast this year has gone by. Those ferns should be fine next year and I am glad you are trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything to save a buck or two. Cheap is my middle name!

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!