Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Touch Me Nots in the Morning In Tiger Gardens

From In the Garden


Touch me nots are a most favored plant of mine in my garden. It is one plant I will not garden without and that is probably pretty funny because many gardeners might say it is a plant they would never grow in their garden. Touch me nots also happen to be a native wildflower so I am knocking out two birds with one stone this Wednesday-highlighting a favorite wildflower and sharing in Wildflower Wednesday, a creation of Gail at Clay and Limestone.

I have been growing touch me nots (Impatiens capensis) in my garden since 2003. Some years are much better than others but still the touch me nots grow and come back each year. They require only a semi shady moist spot in my garden-and room to spread. You see, the reason for the common name of Touch me not is because when you touch a seedpod it explodes-quite unexpectedly too. Those exploding seed capsules can spread seed far and wide and the location can increase exponentially in good years. This year has been a so so year. Not only have we had a drought but I have a very feisty dog who trampled most of my stand of the plants. A few plants that survived the trampling are growing through a four foot tall chain link fence and are doing well. They and their seeds will ensure I have some plants for next year.

Touch me nots are hummingbird magnets and make a bright and cheery show that dazzles in the morning light. I did not even notice the dew drops on these touch me nots when I snapped the photo....

in the garden....

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team,

In the Garden

16 comments:

  1. Tina, I like these flowers! Wish I had some shade for them. Your pictures are so pretty--love the dew on the flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo. I must look into this plant, I do remember you posting them last year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blooms look like little orchids. Lovely! Do they grow in Maine? I think I saw them along a trail in Camden State Park a couple of weeks ago. I'll have to look through my photo files to check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, Thanks. The dew was such a bonus for me. Wish we'd get some rain though.

    Darla, Yup, I do love these little flowers.

    W2W, They do indeed. In fact, that is where I was introduced to them as a teen. I bet you have some good photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tina, We also call them jewel weed sometimes. They're a great indicator for deer, who love them, also supposed to be a poison ivy remedy if crushed and rubbed on skin.
    They came with my house, and one day I noticed hummingbirds loving them and stopped pulling them out. Love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never forget how you made my dad jump when you handed him a seed pod and it exploded on him. And okay, me too! They are neat flowers and knowing hummingbirds like them, I should have them in my yard as well. Maybe I will grab a handful of seed the next time I am in Tiger Gardens...

    Dew really makes a statement on plants. Yep, we could use the rain as well. I am tired of dragging the hose around...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have hummingbirds year round in TN?
    The hummingbirds are here for about four and a half months.

    It seems like a great plant for hummers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very neat plant Tina. I've seen these & I too like them. I must see if they will grow here.
    Had Granddaughter pull that cassia up. It was full of long finger like seed pods. Yikes. Sure don't want it growing everywhere.
    Hi Jean, Dawn, Skeeter, Anonymous & Nina. Hope you all have a marvelous day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cyndy, Oh yes-gotta love the jewelweed. I'm so glad you've left it on your property. You live in a lovely neighborhood.

    Skeeter, The touch me nots are so fun in the garden. Unsuspecting guests beware of the explosions;)

    Rosey, No, the hummers are migrating now or beginning to. The feeders have been busy as are the touch me nots. Such a long trip for the little birds all the way down south.

    Lola, I'm sure they grow in Florida thought I can't say I've seen them there. I know they grow all the way from Maine and even Canada to here. A nice little wildflower for a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this plant Tina! It's not here anymore~It seems to hate my dry soil! I do see it in the Warner parks though and admire the perfect orange coloring. gail ps we sure need rain

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your wildflower posts best of all. What a funny plant! I can see why you’d plant them for the hummingbirds. Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These grow in near a creek by my house but I don't have enough moisture for them. :( They are so beautiful!! If I were a hummingbird, I'd love them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tina they grow wild all over the place here in Maine (I hope you are listening) and I think here they are considered a weed. I still also love them. I was hoping that they would be ready when Josh was here but they were not. I have tons of them in my field.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear I make mega mistakes when I am so tired. I meat to add w2w when I said I hope you are listening.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting plant. I've never seen it before,. It does look like an orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jean, I saw your comment. I've got pics of what I think are them somewhere in the hundreds of photos we took on our trip. They must be already on the laptop computer which my husband has with him, and he's out of town. When he comes home this weekend, I'll find out for sure what they were. I kept seeing them along the trail on a hike we took in a state park and marveled at how beautiful they were but didn't know the name. Thanks for confirming that they are growing in your state--which probably means they wouldn't do well in Florida:(

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!