Thursday, August 11, 2011

African Daisy & Trumpets

By SKEETER This picture was snapped back in March here in my Georgia Gardens. The Lily's were well on their way. If you look closely, you can barely see an African Daisy in the back of the Twig of an Angel Trumpet. The Angel Trumpet died back during the winter so at this point, I did not think too much about a dormant twig sticking out of the ground. Here is a picture of the same planter in June of LAST YEAR. Then, the Angel was already giving me its first blooms. (Click Here to see how this planter started out in my Georgia Gardens as a gift from Tina.)
One year ago this week, she was gifting me with over 50 blooms as you can see in the above picture! (Click HERE to see the follow-up on last years Angel) This year, she is slow to take off and not one bloom thus far. Hum, what did I do wrong with my Angel Trumpet? I did nothing but let her go dormant naturally and then cut her to the ground this spring. Should I have let her go dormant before I cut her? Should I have cut her before she went dormant? Should I have mulched her better for winter? What did I do or not do correctly?
Okay, lets get back to the African Daisy shall we... I had several of them last year but with little luck. Last year, I was busy running back and forth to Tennessee helping my parents with their flooded house and other issues. (Click HERE to see that disaster) So I was lacking in the watering department of my gardens. That may have been the reason why the Daisy's did not do well for me.
This year, I was determined to do a better job with my gardens. Even with a house renovation and the hottest/driest summer since we moved to Georgia 11 years ago, I prevailed. I dragged hose's and set up sprinklers and did my best to keep things happy this summer. My hard sweaty work paid off as the African Daisy is thriving in my gardens! She has given me blooms all summer long and calls in the butterflies. My only mistake was purchasing 1 and not more this year, sigh. Oh well, live and learn.Front View: I also added Saliva and Sage in colors of white, red and purple. They fill in the void once the lily have played out. I put a few pink and red Periwinkle in as well and they should reseed and add more color next year with little care from me. Just the way I like it, care free... Back View: As you can see, the Angel Trumpet is still chugging along. Something has been snacking on Angels leaves.Surely this Garden Spider (Click HERE to learn more about Argiope) that I spotted in the middle of Angel, will take care of the bugs. I am hoping Angel gives me some blooms soon as I miss those huge trumpets blowing in my garden.
I want happy AFRICAN DAISY & TRUMPETS, In the Garden...

Note: I have a second Angel Trumpet that is much larger then this one but not planted in the best spot. I did not think it would survive. I just stuck it in the ground with little thought. I will show you that one if she blooms...
Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

11 comments:

  1. Your daisies are beautiful! I am just happy that anything is growing and blooming in my garden right now. It is just too darn hot! I have never grown angel trumpet so I don't have any advice to give you but I haven't seen any blooming in my neighbors garden yet either so maybe they are just later blooming this year...due to weather?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My angel trumpet it a bit slow this year as well. Not sure the problem. I usually cut mine down after a hard frost or before and mulch them with a sack of potting soil or mulch and hay on top of that. Of course we are colder than you here. The African daisy looks great. So nice to get blooms all summer from one plant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerberas are my favorite annual here, but they never do so great. They flower pretty much continuously, but never like you see them elsewhere. Too much work to keep them happy, like you mentioned on the watering. Good to see the butterflies visit. Mine never grow tall enough to be found. Last year I did get a good crop of the daisies, but really, that was a fluke of a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think my Angel trumpets have done much this year. No blooms for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strange about the Brugmansia, mine has bloomed all summer. Ms. Doris three doors down has not had blooms on hers? I cut mine back right before new growth this past spring. Yes it was an ugly stick all winter long :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning All.
    Skeeter, I'm with you.I don't know what I did or did not do but my trumpets have not bloomed. I have one in the ground & one in a large pot. Neither has grown to any size. Actually the one in the pot grew better. Love those African Daisies. So nice to have color all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one pretty and happy looking daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello everyone. Late getting on here today. I feel super tired and have no motivation today. I had planned to pull weeds but the heat is still too hot for me today. Who took my mojo from me today????

    I see by reading what you all have to say, that my Angel seems to be normal this year. Hum, maybe the strange weather going on everywhere. She looks healthy, just growing slow and no blooms. I will follow up when and if she blooms….

    Everyone have a good day and if you find some extra Mojo, send it my way….

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aniołki zadbały o to, żeby Ci tak pięknie zakwitł :-). Pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Skeeter, love that spider, looks very well fed too. I'm not familiar with Angels but those African daisies here are easy to grow and love heat and sun. I love their colour pinky-blue. cheers, cm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dziękuję, że mnie odwiedziłaś i podobały Ci się zdjęcia. Ja TŁUMACZA GOOGLE mam, jest po prawej stronie, pod moim pieskiem. Pozdrawiam ciepło

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!