Monday, July 16, 2012

Coloring Landscape Designs Using Alcohol Markers


DSCN3550
I recently discovered an excellent way to color my landscape designs using alcohol markers. Some of you may know of alcohol markers but for me they are a new and unique thing. When I began my design business I did not color designs, but as time went on I realized colored designs really help to bring them to life for the clients. I experimented using different colored water markers, even the high priced ones, but the results were not satisfactory at all. I next happened upon watercolor pencils. I liked this effect second best to markers but since I could not locate the appropriate kind of marker to color my designs I had to use the watercolor pencils. 


Watercolor pencils are different colored pencils that you can apply a small bit of water to in order to blend colors. The designs I colored really came out nicely but sometimes the paper would be wrinkled and I just did not like the vividness of the pencils. Pencils just did not compare to markers. Let me back up a minute, my landscape design books show pictures of designs colored with both markers and pencils. Both techniques can be used to good effect but I personally preferred the look of the markers.



I just happened to be at Hobby Lobby when I spied a clear showcase full of markers. "Hmmmm, I wonder what those are?" I thought to myself.  I asked the representative to open the case and I was actually able to try out the markers. Wow! Enlightenment never came at such a cost. The 'Colorific' markers work great and come in hundreds of colors. They are known as sketch markers and can be blended easily to create different effects. What a cool new tool I found. The only problem is that each marker has a price tag of $6.99. That price must be why the markers were kept under lock and key as paying this amount for one marker seems kind of crazy to me. But pay I did. I had to be very selective in what colors I chose for my landscape design palette. I tend to like to color plants in the natural color they will grow in a client's garden while differentiating them just enough to show they are a unique plant. Without buying one of every color what I was able to do was to purchase some color groups such as green, and other colors with only one or two colors that were simply one or two shades off from one another. The colors I selected have worked well for me. As I've begun using the alcohol markers I have learned you don't always have to use more than one color. You can actually layer one color over itself to get a completely new effect. These markers are really useful and excellent for creating beautiful landscape designs....


in the garden....

P.S. This design was not completely colored when I took the picture. Perhaps I'll post a picture of a completely colored design at some point. 
 

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

13 comments:

  1. I saw those markers at Hobby Lobby also!! Great idea to use them for your garden lay outs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be one that would want color so I can define the different plants.... The design looks great in color. Glad you found them but wow-wee on the price. But you must have good tools to produce good results. I have been told that many times….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tina. I've not tried alcohol markers yet but will definitely look for them. I love the effect those soft colors have on your design. My designs NEED color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina, that was an excellent tip about the markers. Very cool. I may pass it on to my landscaping friend Helen Weis. Have a beautiful day in the garden. It's very hot here.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you've found "just the thing." Since you seem to be so pleased with them, the price will work itself out. They sure make your drawing look nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, after not reading a blog for over 2 weeks while getting the house ready for 7 extra people, enjoying them and then doing the bedding and towels, ect for 7 extra I am finally getting caught up!!! I have actually read all the missed posts and comments here.

    The markers sound and look good to me. Price is high but get a couple every now and then and it will not be too bad and will be worth it.

    From the soundof the ducks on the video from the farm, I think the ducks wanted in on the water deal also! When I was a kid Aunt Marion had pigs and they always loved water or mud.

    I LOVE, LOVE the flag made from a pallet.

    Skeeter, all your hard work paid off in making your yard look super wonderful.

    Wow on all the plants you got from the gift from your guests from the UK. The old adage of being paid back ten fold comes to mind. They were very happy to be at Skeeter's B & B!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good tools are essential and are worth the money if they are good tools! I should try drawing our garden.... maybe that will make it easier to plan, and not just plant anything anywhere and hope for the best...
    http://www.flowersforums.com/ruth/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would think for clients, color would be a MUST! Even I have a hard time visualizing things from paper sometimes. Color makes everything pop. Good investment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a great find. I love it. Maybe it would help me if I colored my gardens. I could actually see how it would look with color. Terrific idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am researching and trying to find trails on Ft Campbell so if you don't mind helping me out and tell me where I can find it so i can take my family on a nice walk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am trying to find a trail and when I google it I came across this blog so can you help me on the location of the trail on Ft Campbell that'll be great for me and my family, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Princelouie, Sure, no problem. The trail I posted about and walk upon is a 4.5 mile trail in the Clarksville base area. It is near Gate 10 off from Mabry Road I believe it is called. Once there anyone can help you find the trail as it is hard to explain on the Internet exactly how to get to it. Or you could ask at the visitor center at Gate 4. Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes post another picture with the design fully in color!!! $6.99 EACH??!?!?! Yikes! Yes, choose your colors wisely. That is expensive but they do look great. Do you get Hobby Lobby coupons in your Sunday paper? We do, think every week, for 40% off any one item.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!