Tuesday, July 23, 2013

June/July Blooms

BY SKEETER
 It has been a Rainy, Steamy Summer here in my GEORGIA GARDENS. It has rained all but 2 days thus far for the month of July. I am finding myself in a bit of a depressed mode and do not want to go outside the comfort of my dry, cool house. I do not want to Blog or even go anywhere! I do not recall ever feeling this way during the Summer months. The rain has my gardens one soggy mess that I do not care to walk about. This time last year, we were begging for rain and today, I am begging for a bit of dryness. The ground is so saturated with water that I am now loosing plants left and right to Root Rot.
I was happy to spot this Gladiola return again for its 3rd year. 
 Gladiolas do not seem to do well in my gardens due to Voles and mild winters. So to see this one makes me happy.
 Susan's are doing well as always. They do not care if drought or flood conditions!
 Many different types are always happy in my gardens.
Liatris was happy and is expanding as planned.
I love those purple blooms and wish they would hang around longer.
 Purple Queen never fails me with blooms from late Spring until Frost.
  The 3 Ruellia's are doing great and are multiplying as I had planned for them. 
 Tiger Lily's have also multiplied and I am ever so happy about that. They are popping up in areas I have not had them before. I cannot remember if I plucked seeds and tossed them into these areas or not but they are coming up and very happy.
 These are a favorite Bloom of my Lily Collection. The blooms normally do not last too long but this year, they were in place for almost 2 weeks! Either they loved all the rain or the cloudy skies.
Hosta loves the plentiful rain falls.
 Canna are happy with plenty of rain as well.
Cleome has been added to new garden areas with seed tossing this spring. Some are yellowing as others such as the one above, are most happy.
Bee Balm did not spread like I had wanted but still around and hopefully, in time will fill out for me.
 A surprise in the garden this year is the longevity of the Confederate Jasmine. I am spotting blooms yet today! A rare thing this late in the year.
 Mums blooming in July is not rare if you forget to prune them back in early Summer. But ever so pretty even though not in Fall. 
 
We are picking tomatoes most every day from our 3 plants. If I had only known about all this rain before it happened, I would have planted a big Veggie Garden this year! But after our past drought and now floods, I am just happy to have these JUNE & JULY BLOOMS, In the Garden...

Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

17 comments:

  1. In spite of all of the rain you've had, you have some wonderful blooms and your tomatoes look yummy.

    We've also had a LOT of rain and I've lost some plants too.

    I'd rather have the rain than be in the drought conditions we had for four years. Although, too many cloudy days does tend to make one feel depressed.

    Hope you get some sunshine and blue skies soon.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those maters are wonderful Flowerlady and I am so happy we planted them this year. We missed them last year and regretted it immensely.

      Yes, I know it was not that long ago that we were in the 4 year drought so I do find it difficult to complain about the rains. I know that Mother Nature is cleansing out the streams, rivers and lake so a good thing. Plus I do not have to drag around a heavy garden hose! I don't believe it is the rain so much as the missing sunshine that is depressing me. Sigh...

      Delete
  2. So much rain and now sad? Girl please rejoice in it and do some fun stuff in the house. For me I love love love my movies on rainy days. The garden will dry up and things dying simply means you are a gardener. A new opportunity to plant something new. Hang in there--sun is coming soon as summer is not over yet! Such a pretty glad! At first I thought it was a canna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, crazy eh? I just want to live in a place with perfect weather year round. Do you know of such a place?

      I have found myself watching more TV and old movies but then I feel like I am not getting anything accomplished and then the guilt sets in. Geesh, I just need to get over it and enjoy life no matter what I am doing....

      I know what will happen, the rain will stop and we will not see it again for 4 more years! Seems to be the cycle since we moved to Georgia.

      I love the color of that Glad and it is only one of 3 that seem to return each year. But this color is my favorite for sure...

      Delete
  3. Our June was like your July in regards to rain. I know how you feel. Now we are back into a more normal weather pattern. I hope your area goes through the same rotation. You will want to be out again. What you have blooming is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, the rains have been going strong for us pretty much since February! But we had a few dry days here and there. July has been a soaking mess for me though. Times such as this I want to just walk away from gardening then I remember it will dry some day and I will be back at it. Just not use to being out of the garden during the summer months...

      Delete
  4. Everything looks so beautiful. So refreshing to see a glad bloom. Hate they're out of favor when stereotyped as a funeral flower in this country. In my native Australia, most gardeners wouldn't be without them. Always love to see a glorious tiger lily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick, I view Mums as a Funeral Flower more so then Glads. Gee, this makes me wonder what type of flower I would want at my funeral. Never thought of that one before. Hum, I see a new posting here.

      Yes, those Tiger Lily are the best and I have really enjoyed them this year as they did so well...

      Delete
  5. I understand your feelings, Skeeter; I felt that way during April of this year. It would be nice, though, if you could have a happy medium between drought and flooding, wouldn't it? I'm not surprised the Susans and the Liatris are doing so well, but you certainly have some other happy bloomers as well. Wow on the glads and cannas--those colors ought to brighten up your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose it has been a rainy year since February for us here in GA. So depressing as I had such plans for the gardens to grow this year. My biggest fear is loosing some beloved plants to all the soggy conditions in the back of the house. I shall share those soon... Sigh...

      Yep, the Glad and Cannas do brighten up the day for me when I spot them outside my windows...

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean about the previous drought and now the rain, Skeeter. It's either feast or famine with the weather. Right now, I feel like I've had a five course meal with those extra helpings of rain! We do get to see the sun intermittently so I try to run outside and catch a few rays when it does show up. I hope the sun shines soon in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe it is the lack of sun keeping me depressed! The rain is so needed in our neck of the woods but now we really do need a break from the rain. A full week with no rain would be a nice relief! I know that a drought will be in the makings soon so am trying my best to not get too upset over the rain, although, I am loosing some of my favorite beauties to this soggy mess.... Today the sun is out and I am happy to see it. Just hope this evening does not bring more rain...

      Delete
  7. Well in spite of all the rain and gloomy atmosphere your garden colors do look very nice. It's not all that bad. Cheer up Skeeter. Into each life a little rain must fall....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know that rain is a Good Thing but too much of a good thing makes for an unhappy gardener. Sigh... We are on day #2 now with no rain so I will get over my funk soon. After all, drought is worse...

      Delete
  8. Hi Skeeter. To me you have lots in bloom, but then I live in a mostly-wooded area! I know how it is this time of year though ... muggy, hot, and energy-sapping. Not much incentive to work or garden, so I'm dragging myself out for a long walk in the park. That always helps, I think. Hope you feel better soon. DJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many of my favs are blooming in both our gardens...glads never come back for me but they did this year. Waiting for the tomatoes to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had lots of blooms! My garden got way too much rain this year, many plants are not happy. Hoping they survive the rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!