Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Phillip's Garden Tour Part II


DSCN7721
We continue our virtual tour of Phillip's Garden looking through a secret gate that separates two parts of the garden. Phillip set up his garden in the style of garden rooms. Creating garden rooms has been an important style of gardening for many years. People tend to like intimacy in a private garden and rooms help to fit the bill. That is 'Snowflake' oakleaf hydrangea to the left of the gate. What a perfect specimen of it!
DSCN7720
This is a sunny path. If you like textures in a garden you can't beat cannas. The bold foliaged plant is cannas and they really rock a garden even without blooms.
DSCN7716
Now this small white tree is Cornus kousa 'Wolf Eyes'. Phillip and I both grow this wonderful little tree. His is much bigger than mine, and sited very well. Look at how it lights up this corner of the garden.
DSCN7713
This pretty leaved plant is called Plume Poppy. I am not familiar with this plant but really liked the foliage. As an interesting note when I visited the University of Tennessee at Jackson gardens last week I saw a big stand of these plume poppies. They are going on my list to try.
DSCN7712
Remember the large rose arbor in the center of the garden? This is the walkway underneath. How cool is it? Phillp has used mondo grass to great advantage in his shady garden. Here it fills in amongst the cool stepping stones.
DSCN7710
This picture kind of reminded me of the Gentling garden we garden bloggers were able to visit last May in Asheville North Carolina. Phillip's garden is on a hill though not a mountain, but it shared rock walls and lovely overflowing borders like the Gentling Garden that Skeeter posted on last year....

in the garden....

Friday will be the last of Phillip's Garden so stay tuned and stay cool. 
Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful garden ~ I just LOVE the gate entry into the next room.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stepping stones under the trellis! I remember seeing a plume poppy in a garden somewhere; if I remember correctly, don't they get really tall? They're quite a dramatic accent. What a wonderful garden to explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to get quite tall. It is a new to me flower but a pretty neat one. Phillip said they can self seed a bit which might not be a bad thing in the right spot.

      Delete
  3. We missed you at the fling this year. People were very friendly and the gardens were amazing. I love 'Wolf's Eye' but it is such a slow grower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I love the concept of Room Gardening! And yes, I can see the Gentling Gardens in that last pic for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phillip has a gorgeous garden - I love those hydrangeas. Ours are wilting in the unusual heat in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you end up getting Plume Poppy, don't turn your back on it.

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!