Wednesday, May 4, 2016

I Love a Rainbow Made of Irises!


DSCN5119
It's rainbow time iris time in Tennessee! And what a lovely spring it has been in between the rain storms. Over the past week we have received four inches of rain. Rain is a delightful thing for gardeners but geez, can we get it spread out a bit? In between rain storms I managed to take some photos of the rainbow in my front garden. The irises are mainly congregated around my vegetable garden but there are some different kinds scattered in other gardens. I am trying to get a good picture of the colors I have and this post is a start. There are still about 7-8 more colors I am missing because they are later blooming but here is my rainbow during this rain.

I've acquired a good many of these irises from my friend Angie, roadside flea markets, plant sales, the Daylily Barn, trades from other gardeners, and I have even bought a few specialized ones. It does not take long to get a good color palette and I so enjoy the beauty of irises. 

A tip for growing them is to make sure the rhizome (modified stem) is not buried, do not mulch, keep weeds down, and fertilize lightly. Divide the bearded irises every three years or so. Irises like full sun but will do okay in part sun. They will even do okay in part shade but the bloom will suffer and your irises will be prone to getting iris borers and rot.
DSCN5118

DSCN5117

DSCN5135

DSCN5134

DSCN5133

DSCN5132

DSCN5131

DSCN5130

DSCN5129

DSCN5114

DSCN5113

DSCN5111

DSCN5110

DSCN5109

DSCN5108

DSCN5107

DSCN5105

DSCN5104

DSCN5103

DSCN5102

DSCN5101

DSCN5100

DSCN5099

DSCN5098

DSCN5097

DSCN5096

DSCN5095

DSCN5090

DSCN5085

DSCN5084

DSCN5083

DSCN5082

DSCN5081



DSCN5122

DSCN5120


Everyone have a great day....

in the Rainbow Garden.....
Words and Photos Property of In the Garden Blog Team, In the Garden

7 comments:

  1. My iris did fine when in N.C. but don't do good at all here. They do better in pots. Have one now that is blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a colorful lot of iris. I love the one with the upright blue and white falls. My irises are blooming now. I don't have near all the colors you have but they are such fun to have. iris borers have come to my garden unfortunately. I have been fighting them for some time. I won't get any more until I have eradicated the borers. I hope I win the battle. They are seemingly becoming fewer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your rainbow! It is high iris time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your iris rainbow, gorgeous! We're hoping ours will open soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful colors!! I hope mine bloom next spring--I found some bulbs when we moved here and replanted them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Iris rainbow of colors! I hope to one day see Angies garden when the iris are blooming. I missed a lot of my iris bloom as I was in TN during that time. Sigh but that's okay, there is always next year!

    ReplyDelete

ALL SPAM WILL BE PROMPTLY FRIED. PLEASE DO NOT LIFT PHOTOS OR WORDS. THANKS!